Alternatives to Apple Bobbing – These are some alternatives for those who want to enjoy the spirit of apple bobbing without spreading germs. #AppleBobbing
Alternatives to Apple Bobbing
People who were born in the early 1980s and earlier likely spent some time bobbing for apples each fall. Bobbing for apples long has been a classic autumn activity. Yet today’s children may not know what it entails.
Bobbing for apples is a tradition that began in Europe hundreds of years ago as a courting ritual or a way to see who would get married next. When Europeans settled in the United States and Canada, they brought their apple bobbing traditions with them. However, over the years, bobbing evolved from an activity geared around romance to one focused on fun for children.
Apple bobbing has largely fallen out of favor as more parents zeroed in on the potential yuck factor of having several mouths and noses dunked into the same bucket of water trying to grab a Red Delicious or Granny Smith. The pandemic also undoubtedly made some people skeptical about the safety of apple bobbing. Thankfully, there are alternatives for those who want to enjoy the spirit of apple bobbing without spreading germs.
Tie strings to the stems of apples and hang each individual apple to a clothesline. Without using their hands, participants must consume the majority of the apple of their choosing. Whoever finishes first wins a prize.
One workaround to create more hygienic fun is to give party participants their own separate bowls or buckets for bobbing. Plastic beverage tubs at dollar stores are inexpensive and readily available. Fill them up with water and float two or three apples in each. Then the race is on for each participant to snag some apples.
Grabbing for apples
Kids need not use their jaws to grab apples. Kids can use small spoons, chopsticks, a spatula – anything you can think of – to make it challenging to grab a floating apple.
Symbolic ‘apple’ toss
Fill up red water balloons with water and set up a traditional water balloon toss. Participants pair up and toss the “apples” to one another, moving further and further away with each round. The last pair to have an intact “apple” wins. (Weather permitting)
Bobbing for apples has fallen out of favor as concerns about hygiene have risen. However, there are ways to incorporate the fun parts of bobbing for apples without compromising kids’ overall health.
MetroCreative article TF21A372
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- 10 Digit Dialing10 Digit Dialing a new requirement for many places to dial the full 10 digit phone number fir all local calls. 10 Digit Dialing appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 10 Digit Dialing ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the countryLego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country - Yes! Those old unused lego bricks can get a new home! #Lego #LegoReplay #LegoMaster #LegoBrick Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country appeared first on Courageous… Read more »
- Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your ProblemVanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem. Only one person can! Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about… Read more »
- ForgivenessForgiveness can be easier said than done. Do you easily forgive others when they do wrong to you? Have you ever had anyone not forgive you and you wished they did? What does it mean to forgive? #forgiveness #BGBG2 Forgiveness appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
- My account
- Contact Steve Sews
- Steve Sews Stuff
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog