The purpose of the Strawberry on the Tomato Pincushion as we know strawberries don’t grow on tomatoes or vise Versa. What are the purposes for it and yes there are more than two! #pincushion #strawberrypuncushion #tomatopincushion #pepperpincushion
The purpose of the Strawberry on the Tomato Pincushion
Why is there a strawberry on the tomato pincushion. I never knew this and I took Home Economics and interesting enough, I still have my tomato pin cushion from then, the early to mid 1990’s. I never knew it was strawberry until 2021.
I heard it had at least two functions … So is that true and/or there other uses? But I dug and found more!
Amazon affiliate links used
1. Sharpening your needles
Emery powder sharpens your needles and is what is inside that strawberry.
2. Use it to hold the current needle you are working on
The small strawberry can be used to hold your current needle if you wanted too.
3. Cleaning your needles
The emery powder inside the strawberry also helped to clean your needles too. So a multiple purpose.
4. Decoration and looks
But that handy strawberry pairing wasn’t in the original design. It is more of a newer addition. Tomatoes were kept on the mantle to ward off evil spirits. Thus the main reason for the tomato design. (They date back to 15th Century)
Side note, some people think that piece attached to the tomato pincushion is a pepper. We could say this blog post can also serve as the purpose of the Pepper on the Tomato Pincushion for those folks.
Another note pins used to be more rare and expensive, but now they are readily available and cheap. But, sewing clips are replacing pins.
So I found four uses of the strawberry on the tomato pincushion. Do you know of any other uses? Feel free to share in the comments below. I just might add it to this list.
Some say that strawberry is useless with todays pins and the way they are made and how cheap they are to buy.
Don’t miss a single blog post about sewing, quilting, crafts, and recipes! Plus so much more!
Follow on WordPressFollow Steve Sews Stuff on WordPress.com
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All of Steve’s Blogs
- Face Masks Make Great Stocking Stuffers
- Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking StuffersSteve Sews Stuff Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers # christmasstockings #pockettissueholders Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- Scrooge, An Example of a New Creation
- The Hidden Meaning of the 12 Days of Christmas (Free Printable)Ever wonder what the hidden mean of the 12 days of Christmas mean? Then check out this blog post as I share what each day of the 12 days hidden meaning. I also share when the 12 Days of Christmas actually starts too. Plus a free printable version! #12DaysChristmas #Christmas… Read more »
Most Clipart used: Pexels, Adobe Express, Adobe Stock, FreePik, and more. This site uses Amazon Affiliate Ads & Google Ads.