The purpose of the Strawberry on the Tomato Pincushion as we know strawberries don’t grow on tomatoes or vise Versa. What are the purposes for it and yes there are more than two! #pincushion #strawberrypuncushion #tomatopincushion #pepperpincushion
The purpose of the Strawberry on the Tomato Pincushion
Why is there a strawberry on the tomato pincushion. I never knew this and I took Home Economics and interesting enough, I still have my tomato pin cushion from then, the early to mid 1990’s. I never knew it was strawberry until 2021.
I heard it had at least two functions … So is that true and/or there other uses? But I dug and found more!
Amazon affiliate links used
1. Sharpening your needles
Emery powder sharpens your needles and is what is inside that strawberry.
2. Use it to hold the current needle you are working on
The small strawberry can be used to hold your current needle if you wanted too.
3. Cleaning your needles
The emery powder inside the strawberry also helped to clean your needles too. So a multiple purpose.
4. Decoration and looks
But that handy strawberry pairing wasn’t in the original design. It is more of a newer addition. Tomatoes were kept on the mantle to ward off evil spirits. Thus the main reason for the tomato design. (They date back to 15th Century)
Side note, some people think that piece attached to the tomato pincushion is a pepper. We could say this blog post can also serve as the purpose of the Pepper on the Tomato Pincushion for those folks.
Another note pins used to be more rare and expensive, but now they are readily available and cheap. But, sewing clips are replacing pins.
So I found four uses of the strawberry on the tomato pincushion. Do you know of any other uses? Feel free to share in the comments below. I just might add it to this list.
Some say that strawberry is useless with todays pins and the way they are made and how cheap they are to buy.
Don’t miss a single blog post about sewing, quilting, and recipes! Plus much more!
Follow on WordPressFollow Steve Sews Stuff on WordPress.com
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All of Steve’s Blogs
- Born again not born againstBorn again not born against - You are either born again or not! If you are born again you are saved and have eternal life with Christ in Heaven. If you are not born again, born against, you are not saved and will spend eternity in torment and punishment (separated… Read more »
- Gas pricesGas prices funny - These gas prices are probably the reason the armies in the Book of Revelation are riding horses.#gasprices Gas prices appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Gas prices ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A… Read more »
- Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to churchDon’t wait for the hearse to take you to church by then it’s too late! #church #bgbg2 #hearse Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church ©2004-2022… Read more »
- What the world would be like if fabric did not existSteve Sews Stuff What the world would be like if fabric did not exist - this is how I think it might be if fabric didn’t exist. #fabric What the world would be like if fabric did not exist appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- Contact Steve Sews
- My account
- Refunds & Returns Policy
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop