Alternatives to Apple Bobbing – These are some alternatives for those who want to enjoy the spirit of apple bobbing without spreading germs. #AppleBobbing
Alternatives to Apple Bobbing
People who were born in the early 1980s and earlier likely spent some time bobbing for apples each fall. Bobbing for apples long has been a classic autumn activity. Yet today’s children may not know what it entails.
Bobbing for apples is a tradition that began in Europe hundreds of years ago as a courting ritual or a way to see who would get married next. When Europeans settled in the United States and Canada, they brought their apple bobbing traditions with them. However, over the years, bobbing evolved from an activity geared around romance to one focused on fun for children.
Apple bobbing has largely fallen out of favor as more parents zeroed in on the potential yuck factor of having several mouths and noses dunked into the same bucket of water trying to grab a Red Delicious or Granny Smith. The pandemic also undoubtedly made some people skeptical about the safety of apple bobbing. Thankfully, there are alternatives for those who want to enjoy the spirit of apple bobbing without spreading germs.
Tie strings to the stems of apples and hang each individual apple to a clothesline. Without using their hands, participants must consume the majority of the apple of their choosing. Whoever finishes first wins a prize.
One workaround to create more hygienic fun is to give party participants their own separate bowls or buckets for bobbing. Plastic beverage tubs at dollar stores are inexpensive and readily available. Fill them up with water and float two or three apples in each. Then the race is on for each participant to snag some apples.
Grabbing for apples
Kids need not use their jaws to grab apples. Kids can use small spoons, chopsticks, a spatula – anything you can think of – to make it challenging to grab a floating apple.
Symbolic ‘apple’ toss
Fill up red water balloons with water and set up a traditional water balloon toss. Participants pair up and toss the “apples” to one another, moving further and further away with each round. The last pair to have an intact “apple” wins. (Weather permitting)
Bobbing for apples has fallen out of favor as concerns about hygiene have risen. However, there are ways to incorporate the fun parts of bobbing for apples without compromising kids’ overall health.
MetroCreative article TF21A372
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Food bank ideasFood bank ideas - When donating items to food banks maybe also consider these things to go with what you donate. #donation #foodbank Food bank ideas appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Food bank ideas ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous… Read more »
- How to get more flavor when slow cookingSteve Sews Stuff How to get more flavor when slow cooking - Slow cooking aromas wafting through the air heighten anticipation, and cooks can exceed expectations by employing a few strategies to increase flavor. #SlowCooking #SlowCooker #Crockpot How to get more flavor when slow cooking appeared first on Steve Sews… Read more »
- Happy ThanksgivingFrom Courageous Christian Father and my family to yours. I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Give God thanks for what you have and what you don't have. #thanksgiving #HappyThanksgiving Happy Thanksgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Thanksgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks LivingDaily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living! When you take time to think, you will find you have a lot to be thankful for. God has blessed us with so much! #Thanksgiving #Thanksliving Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Daily Thanksgiving brings… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Blog PostThanksgiving Blog Post - Below are Thanksgiving Day Blog post that can be found on Courageous Christian Father. Celebrate this day of Thanks Living by checking out these Thanksgiving related blog post. #Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Blog Post appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Blog Post… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Day Quiz PrintableThanksgiving Day Quiz, test your Thanksgiving Day knowledge. Only 8 questions to answer too! There is also a free printable version too! Including an answer sheet. #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingQuiz #ThanksgivingDayQuiz Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable ©2004-2021… Read more »
- Good Grief DayGood Grief Day - “Good Grief!” is a phrase often used by Charlie Brown, the main character from Charles Schulz's comic strip, Peanuts. #GoodGriefDay Good Grief Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Good Grief Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian… Read more »
- A Thanksgiving PoemA Thanksgiving Poem is written by myself, Steve Patterson. This is done like an acronym acrostic type poem. Plus a free printable version to download and print! #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingPoem A Thanksgiving Poem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A Thanksgiving Poem ©2004-2021 by Steve… Read more »
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog
- Steve Sews Stuff
- My account
- Contact Steve Sews
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop