Five Former Kentucky Governors of Both Parties Receive COVID Vaccine – Spouses join governors to highlight bipartisan support for safe, effective vaccine. #COVID19 #Kentucky
Five Former Kentucky Governors of Both Parties Receive COVID Vaccine
Five former Governors and their spouses, spanning five decades of service to the commonwealth, received the COVID-19 vaccination Monday, January 4, 2021, in the Capitol Rotunda to emphasize the bipartisan support for the safe and effective vaccines and urge fellow Kentuckians to take the vaccine.
Those who received the Moderna vaccine include Julian Carroll, John Y. Brown Jr., Martha Layne Collins and Bill Collins, Ernie and Glenna Fletcher and Steve and Jane Beshear.
“We all look forward to the day we can get back out into the Kentucky communities we love so much and gather with our friends and family, but until then, we urge our fellow Kentuckians to wear masks, limit their gatherings and take the vaccine. This vaccine is a medical miracle – the shot of hope Kentuckians and Americans have been looking forward to for almost a year to save lives, reduce the spread of this deadly virus, allow more of our neighbors to return to work and ensure our children and educators can safely return to school. This vaccine is safe, effective and our best hope of defeating COVID. We urge all Kentuckians to roll up their sleeves, take the fight to COVID and do their part to move the commonwealth forward.”Jointly they all said this statement.Trending
Former Gov. Paul Patton, who went on to serve as president and then chancellor of the University of Pikeville, and his wife, Judi, are receiving the vaccine locally in Pikeville. Former Gov. Brereton Jones and his wife, Libby, were unable to attend Monday, but support the vaccines and will receive them as soon as possible. All four join in the above statement issued by the former governors and their spouses who were vaccinated Monday at the Capitol.
“These men and women showed their willingness to lead once again by stepping forward, regardless of party, age or geography, to spotlight the safety and the value of this vaccine in ending this nightmare for Kentucky and emerging a better commonwealth, thanks to them for demonstrating the importance of this vaccine in saving our fellow Kentuckians and ending this pandemic.”Gov. Andy Beshear
Former Govs. Steve Beshear and Ernie Fletcher, once political opponents, are collaborating to urge Kentuckians to set aside partisanship and political differences to work together and defeat COVID-19.
“Right now is the time to set aside political differences and come together to defeat COVID-19.”Gov. Andy Beshear
Eleven legislative leaders, five Republicans and six Democrats, also received their vaccination on the Capitol Rotunda on January 4, 2021. Read the full release here.
Gov. Beshear received his vaccination December 22, 2020, along with Kentucky Supreme Court Chief Justice John D. Minton Jr., Speaker Osborne and Senate President Stivers, heads of the three branches of Kentucky government, ensuring the continuity of state government during this pandemic and demonstrating broad, bipartisan support for the safe, effective vaccine.
Top federal and state health leaders, including U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield, have encouraged governors and other public officials to publicly receive the vaccination to emphasize the safety of the vaccine and to build confidence and public support.
Dr. Steven Stack, commissioner of the Kentucky Department for Public Health, urged state leaders to receive the vaccination for the continuity of state government and to demonstrate to Kentuckians that the vaccine is safe and effective.
Four members of the Kentucky Supreme Court, Lt. Gov. Jacqueline Coleman, Secretary of State Michael Adams, Auditor Mike Harmon, Chief Judge Denise G. Clayton of the Kentucky Court of Appeals, Dr. Stack, acting Kentucky State Police Commissioner Phillip Burnett Jr. and Emergency Management Director Michael Dossett have received the first dose of the vaccine. First Lady Britainy Beshear, J. Michael Brown, the highest appointed official in Kentucky as secretary of the executive cabinet, Gov. Beshear’s chief of staff, La Tasha Buckner, and his senior advisor, Rocky Adkins, also have been vaccinated.
Gov. Beshear encouraged other community leaders including those in elected office, business executives and faith leaders, to take the vaccine when it is their turn. Meanwhile, until more people are vaccinated, the Governor said Kentuckians must continue to take precautions to slow the spread and save more Kentuckians from COVID, which has already killed more than 2,700 people in the commonwealth alone. People must continue to wear masks, social distance and avoid gatherings.
The vaccinations follow the first inoculations in Kentucky on December 14, 2020, when the first round of hospitals began receiving and administering 38,000 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to front-line health care workers. On December 21, 2020, long-term care facility residents and staff began receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine through Walgreens and CVS, which have an agreement with the federal government.
As of today, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been administered to more than 60,000 Kentuckians, predominantly health care workers. With both vaccines, a second dose is required three to four weeks later. To date, Kentucky has received more than 120,000 doses of vaccine. This week, Kentucky is expected to receive 53,700 additional doses with 27,300 from Pfizer and 26,400 from Moderna.
Former Kentucky governors who have been vaccinated:
- Julian Carroll, 1974 – 1979
- John Y. Brown Jr., 1979 – 1983
- Martha Layne Collins, 1983 – 1987
- Paul E. Patton, 1995 – 2003
- Ernie Fletcher, 2003 – 2007
- Steven L. Beshear, 2007 – 2015
Years are their years of service.
Press Release and Photos credit: Governor’s Communications Office
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Why will Jesus Return Yard SignWhy will Jesus Christ return? 1 Thes. 4:13-18 Yard Sign in Greeneville, TN. #greeneville #greenevilletn Why will Jesus Return Yard Sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Why will Jesus Return Yard Sign ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Get out of Facebook Church SignFirst Baptist Church of Harrogate - Get out of Facebook Church Sign is this weeks Church Sign Saturday. #Facebook (Get out of Facebook and into my Book - God) #ChurchSign Get out of Facebook Church Sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Get out of… Read more »
- Biblemobile Jesus TankQuick! To the Biblemobile! Check out this Jesus truck / Jesus tank. #JesusTruck #JesusTank #BibleMobile Biblemobile Jesus Tank appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Biblemobile Jesus Tank ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the… Read more »
- God gave you a fingerprint that no one else has, so you can leave an imprint no one else canGod gave you a fingerprint that no one else has, so you can leave an imprint no one else can. God gave you a fingerprint that no one else has, so you can leave an imprint no one else can appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- Find Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the BibleFind Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the Bible - See if you get your birth year buy taking the number of Books in the Bible and doing some math with your age. FREE PRINTABLE! Find Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the Bible… Read more »
- Bible Gateway Blogger Grid MembersBible Gateway Blogger Grid Members - This is a list of Christian bloggers who belong to this grid. #bgbg2 #christianblog #Christianbloggers Bible Gateway Blogger Grid Members appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Bible Gateway Blogger Grid Members ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complicationsBig Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications #bigdaddyweave #jayweaver Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- 2021 year in review2021 year in review - Check out the states and fireworks that Courageous Christian Father had in 2021. 2021 year in review appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 2021 year in review ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Contact Steve Sews
- My account
- Steve Sews Stuff
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop