Sew or so two words that sound the same but spelled differently.
Sew or so
Today for Sewing Saturday, I will blog about the word sew and so.
These words are examples of homophones.A homophone is a word that sounds the same as another word but has a different meaning and/or spelling.
Sometimes we might use homophones creatively, for example, instead of saying so cool, I will say sew cool.
Old English swā, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zo and German so.
- to such a great extent.”the words tumbled out so fast that I could barely hear them”
- to the same extent (used in comparisons).”he isn’t so bad as you’d think”
- and for this reason; therefore.”it was still painful so I went to see a specialist”
- with the aim that; in order that.”they whisper to each other so that no one else can hear”
Old English siwan, of Germanic origin, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin suere and Greek suein.
verb: sew; 3rd person present: sews; past tense: sewed; gerund or present participle: sewing; past participle: sewn
- join, fasten, or repair (something) by making stitches with a needle and thread or a sewing machine.”she sewed the seams and hemmed the border”Similar:stitchmachine stitchembroiderseamhemtackbasteattachfastendarnmendrepairpatchcloutOpposite:unpickremoveriptear
- attach (something) to something else by sewing.”she could sew the veil on properly in the morning”
- make (a garment) by sewing.”the two sisters sewed their own dresses”
Another sewing word with different meanings, the other day, I blogged on the word “thread” and how it has two different meanings. However, that word is spelled the same unlike sew and so.
You can also do sew sew for so so.
If I comment on things, I will use “sew” for “so”.
This is a list of the upcoming events that Steve Sews will be at. If you know of one in the East Tennessee area, let me know.
November 4, 2023 – 9 am to 4 pm – Fall Expo at Rutledge Elementary School – Rutledge, TN.
Meet the staff and/or equipment for Steve Sews.
- Brother Stitch (Current Sewing Machine)
- Forge (Circuit)
- Lovees (Stuffed Animals)
- Mendi (My Wife’s Sewing Machine)
- Rosie (Antique Sewing Machine)
- Steve (Steve himself)
- The Masked Bandit (Steve’s older Sewing Machine)
- Van the T-Rex (Helper)
- Zee (Face Mask Model)
Don’t miss a single blog post about sewing, quilting, crafts, and recipes! Plus so much more!
Follow on WordPressFollow Steve Sews Stuff on WordPress.com
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All of Steve’s Blogs
About Post Author
Search for Sewing on Amazon
Affiliate links used.