Tennessee Department of Health Offering Third Dose of mRNA Vaccine – The Tennessee Department of Health is acting upon recent guidance from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding an additional dose of the COVID-19 mRNA vaccine for moderately and severely immunocompromised individuals.
Tennessee Department of Health Offering Third Dose of mRNA Vaccine
CDC Approved Recommendations for Third Dose for Moderately and Severely Immunocompromised Individuals
On August 13, 2021, the CDC accepted ACIP recommendations for an additional dose of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine. This includes approval for a third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (approved for individuals age 12 years and above) and the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (approved for individuals age 18 years and above). The recommendation from the CDC does not include approval for an additional dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Tennesseans should talk with their health care provider about their medical condition, and whether getting an additional dose is appropriate for them.
Based on the recommendations from the FDA and CDC, moderately and severely immunocompromised individuals, are defined as:
• Receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
• Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
• Advanced or untreated HIV infection
• Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
For more information on the CDC’s recommendation for an additional dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine is available online.
A notification has been sent to all Tennessee providers with information on these recommendations. Providers are encouraged to begin offering the additional dose option to eligible patients. Visit www.Vaccines.gov to find a vaccine site offering the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Patients do not need to prove their diagnosis to be eligible for an additional vaccine dose.
Local health departments across the state will be administering the additional dose option with no appointment necessary.
The mission of the Tennessee Department of Health is to protect, promote and improve the health and prosperity of people in Tennessee. Learn more about TDH services and programs at www.tn.gov/health.
Don’t miss a single blog post about sewing, quilting, crafts, and recipes! Plus so much more!
Follow on WordPressFollow Steve Sews Stuff on WordPress.com
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All of Steve’s Blogs
- Face Masks Make Great Stocking Stuffers
- Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking StuffersSteve Sews Stuff Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers # christmasstockings #pockettissueholders Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
Most Clipart used: Pexels, Adobe Express, Adobe Stock, FreePik, and more. This site uses Amazon Affiliate Ads & Google Ads.