Third Vaccine Dose of the Covid-19 Vaccine may be needed – The CDC’s Advisory Committee signed an Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) recommendation that endorsed the use of an additional dose of COVID-19 vaccine for people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems after an initial two-dose vaccine series.
Third Vaccine Dose of the Covid-19 Vaccine may be needed
This official CDC recommendation — which follows FDA’s decision to amend the emergency use authorizations of the vaccines — is an important step in ensuring everyone, including those most vulnerable to COVID-19, can get as much protection as possible from COVID-19 vaccination.
Emerging data suggest some people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems do not always build the same level of immunity compared to people who are not immunocompromised. In addition, in small studiespdf icon, fully vaccinated immunocompromised people have accounted for a large proportion of hospitalized breakthrough cases (40-44%). Immunocompromised people who are infected with SARS CoV-2 are also more likely to transmit the viruspdf icon to household contacts.
While people who are immunocompromised make up about 3% of the U.S. adult population, they are especially vulnerable to COVID-19 because they are more at risk of serious, prolonged illness. Included in CDC’s recommendation are people with a range of conditions, such as recipients of organ or stem cell transplants, people with advanced or untreated HIV infection, active recipients of treatment for cancer, people who are taking some medications that weaken the immune system, and others. A full list of conditions can be found on CDC’s website. The additional dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine should be the same vaccine as the initial series and administered at least four weeks after completing a primary mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series. While vaccination is likely to increase protection in this population, even after vaccination, people who are immunocompromised should continue follow current prevention measures (including wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others they do not live with, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces) to protect themselves and those around them against COVID-19 until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider. CDC does not recommend additional doses or booster shots for any other population at this time.
At a time when the Delta variant is surging, an additional vaccine dose for some people with weakened immune systems could help prevent serious and possibly life-threatening COVID-19 cases within this population.
CDC works 24/7 protecting America’s health, safety and security. Whether disease start at home or abroad, are curable or preventable, chronic or acute, or from human activity or deliberate attack, CDC responds to America’s most pressing health threats. CDC is headquartered in Atlanta and has experts located throughout the United States and the world.
Submitted press release
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Advice from a Singer Sewing Machine Manual from 1949Steve Sews Stuff Advice from a Singer Sewing Machine Manual from 1949 #SingerSewing #SingerSewingMachine Advice from a Singer Sewing Machine Manual from 1949 appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- Find Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the BibleFind Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the Bible - See if you get your birth year buy taking the number of Books in the Bible and doing some math with your age. FREE PRINTABLE! Find Your Birth Year using the Number of Books in the Bible… Read more »
- Bible Gateway Blogger Grid MembersBible Gateway Blogger Grid Members - This is a list of Christian bloggers who belong to this grid. #bgbg2 #christianblog #Christianbloggers Bible Gateway Blogger Grid Members appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Bible Gateway Blogger Grid Members ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complicationsBig Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications #bigdaddyweave #jayweaver Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Big Daddy Weave bassist Jay Weaver dies of COVID-19 complications ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- 2021 year in review2021 year in review - Check out the states and fireworks that Courageous Christian Father had in 2021. 2021 year in review appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 2021 year in review ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog
- Steve Sews Stuff
- My account
- Contact Steve Sews
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop