Knoxville’s Pandemic Memorial to be ‘Place of Solace and Healing’ – Knoxville Mayor Indya Kincannon has partnered with Dogwood Arts to commission a permanent public memorial to remember the more than 600 Knox County friends and family members whom we’ve lost to COVID-19. The memorial is also a tribute to the community wide sacrifices and heroic efforts taken to safeguard our most vulnerable residents during the pandemic.
Knoxville’s Pandemic Memorial to be ‘Place of Solace and Healing’
A mural will be painted next week on one of the Clinch Avenue Viaduct underpasses at World’s Fair Park by nationally acclaimed artist Kelsey Montague and her team. (Knoxville was the home of the 1982 World’s Fair!)
The new, more visible memorial will replace the temporary COVID-19 memorial on the front lawn of the City County Building that was started last December, during the pandemic’s biggest surge. Flags were planted in the lawn, commemorating individuals who lost their lives to the virus.
Kelsey Montague has painted hundreds of bright, larger-than-life murals, drawing inspiration from butterfly wings, balloons, dragonflies, hot air balloons and heart motifs for her work. Her 2014 mural in New York City with the hashtag #WhatLiftsYou was applauded by singer Taylor Swift, who then commissioned Montague to do a butterfly mural in Nashville for the release of her song “Me!”.
Montague’s memorial mural in Knoxville will feature a motif of brightly-colored flying birds soaring into a brilliant blue archway near the base of the Sunsphere.
It will be possible for a person to position himself or herself at the left of the mural and appear to be releasing the fanciful flock. Montague has created large-scale interactive street murals around the world, and each piece provides an opportunity for viewers to become part of a “living work of art.”
“Art can inspire us and comfort us, and we believe Kelsey Montague’s creation will be a special part of our post-pandemic healing,” Dogwood Arts Executive Director Sherry Jenkins said. “Likewise, Dogwood Arts is humbled and honored to help with such a meaningful project.”
Montague said her artwork will commemorate loved ones lost during the pandemic as well as celebrate the brave men and women who helped us get through this last year.
Mayor Kincannon also noted Montague’s highly-recognizable signature artwork.
“Kelsey always aims to be inspiring, and I like how she invites passersby to make themselves a part of her art,” Kincannon said. “This artist was passionate about wanting to reach out and help families hurt by COVID-19 to heal and recover. She created a message with her memorial design that’s truly unique – you won’t find it anywhere else.”
The City will provide an agency grant to Dogwood Arts, with funding of up to $25,000 for the pandemic memorial.
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- 10 Digit Dialing10 Digit Dialing a new requirement for many places to dial the full 10 digit phone number fir all local calls. 10 Digit Dialing appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 10 Digit Dialing ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the countryLego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country - Yes! Those old unused lego bricks can get a new home! #Lego #LegoReplay #LegoMaster #LegoBrick Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country appeared first on Courageous… Read more »
- Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your ProblemVanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem. Only one person can! Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about… Read more »
- ForgivenessForgiveness can be easier said than done. Do you easily forgive others when they do wrong to you? Have you ever had anyone not forgive you and you wished they did? What does it mean to forgive? #forgiveness #BGBG2 Forgiveness appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- My account
- Contact Steve Sews
- Steve Sews Stuff
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog