Thread Tension – how taught the thread is going through the sewing machine. #threadtension
This week’s Thread Thursday is about Thread Tension. The tension of the thread is controlled in Two spots.
Tension is how taught or tight the thread is traveling through the sewing machine.
- Top – Where the top thread travels through the tension discs, they are at the top of your sewing machine.
- Bottom – In the bobbin case.
The Top Tension
The top tension is easy to adjust by changing the dial at the top. You’d adjust this for the thickness of fabrics and/or button holes.
The settings go from 0 to 9. Most people suggest using 4.5 for default sewing. The higher the number, the more tension and where the discs move closer together. While the lower number setting, decreases the tension and moves the disc further apart.
So a 0 thread tension setting means the least amount of tension, a 9 thread tension setting is the most tension.
The Bottom Tension
While the bottom bobbin tension is adjusted by a screw near the bottom bobbin case. This tension, you would rarely ever adjust for sewing.
You adjust this setting to adjust for thin or thicker threads. In some cases, after many years of use, the screw may need to be readjusted.
Just think top to adjust for the thickness of fabrics and the bottom to adjust for the thickness of thread.
Don’t miss a single blog post about sewing, quilting, crafts, and recipes! Plus so much more!
Follow on WordPressFollow Steve Sews Stuff on WordPress.com
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All of Steve’s Blogs
- Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking StuffersSteve Sews Stuff Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers # christmasstockings #pockettissueholders Pocket Tissue Holders Make Great Stocking Stuffers appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- Scrooge, An Example of a New Creation
- The Hidden Meaning of the 12 Days of Christmas (Free Printable)Ever wonder what the hidden mean of the 12 days of Christmas mean? Then check out this blog post as I share what each day of the 12 days hidden meaning. I also share when the 12 Days of Christmas actually starts too. Plus a free printable version! #12DaysChristmas #Christmas… Read more »
- 24 Day Gospel of Luke Challenge24 Day Gospel of Luke Challenge - This Bible reading challenge is great for Christmas time. Simply read one chapter of Luke per day for 24 days starting on December 1st. Then when Christmas comes you have read about the Life of Christ! #bgbg2 #Luke #GospelofLuke 24 Day Gospel of… Read more »
Most Clipart used: Pexels, Adobe Express, Adobe Stock, FreePik, and more. This site uses Amazon Affiliate Ads & Google Ads.