What is maskne and how do you treat it? Wearing masks that cover the lower portion of the face has led to an uptick in instances of acne. (Mask Acne) #Maskne #Acne #MaskAcne
What is maskne and how do you treat it?
Public health guidelines advising people to wear masks have proven effective at slowing the spread of COVID-19, but such recommendations have led to some unforeseen and unwanted side effects. For example, wearing masks that cover the lower portion of the face has led to an uptick in instances of acne.
U.S. Dermatology Partners advises that regular mask wearing can lead to skin health issues, including flare-ups in chronic skin conditions. It’s become such a widespread issue that the term “maskne” has now become a part of the lexicon.
According to Dr. Mona Gohara, an associate clinical professor of dermatology at the Yale School of Medicine, maskne is a real thing. The most common kind is acne mechanica, which is the type of acne that occurs when something rubs up against the face. Oil, sweat and a lack of fresh air to the face can cause the formation of acne just about anywhere beneath protective masks. Health care workers may be especially susceptible, but just about anyone who wears a mask for an extended period of time may develop maskne.
Dr. Shari Lipner, an associate professor of clinical dermatology and an associate attending physician at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, says anything that causes friction on the face can cause the skin to become irritated and inflamed. Couple that with trapped bacteria, sweat and oil, and acne can result. Dermatologists are seeing a rise in patients visiting their practices for acne issues and treatments. Mask-related skin issues have become such an issue that the COVID-19 task force of the American Academy of Dermatology has released advice on the subject, including ways to mitigate maskne formation.
· Wash masks frequently.
Those who opt for fabric masks should look for ones that are made of 100 percent cotton or silk for the most breathability. Also, wash the mask as frequently as possible to avoid reapplying dirt, oil and sweat to the face.
· Follow single-use mask use.
People who prefer disposable masks should use the mask and properly discard it after using it once.
· Reduce beauty product usage.
Consider going without face makeup under the mask to reduce the potential of it contributing to the formation of oil and bacteria. Otherwise, look for products that are noncomedogenic or oil-free.
· Use gentle, fragrance-free products.
Wash the face with a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser each morning and night. Harsh products can further irritate the skin. In addition, apply a light, fragrance-free moisturizer to serve as a friction barrier between face and mask.
· Try OTC products.
Over-the-counter solutions of benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid may help treat acne. However, if acne does not improve within a week or two, visit a board-certified dermatologist.
Maskne is a condition marked by a flare-up of acne from prolonged mask use. There are ways to keep skin issues at bay with self-care and the advice of dermatologists.
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF214883
Showing 257–272 of 284 results
Patriotic Star Quilt Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Patriotic Star Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Camera Face mask$4.99 Add to cart
Sailboat Nautical Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Blue Nautical Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Naval Ship Face Mask$4.99 Read more
Mulan Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
White Snoopy Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Orange Thanksgiving Peanuts Face Mask$4.99 Read more
Light Gray Snoopy Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Peanuts Snoopy Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Meow Cat Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Colorful Cat with Big Eyes Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Cat Face Mask$4.99 Read more
Teal Polka Dot Face Mask$4.99 Add to cart
Fruit face mask$4.99 Add to cart
Follow Steve Sews Stuff on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow Steve Sews Stuff on social media as well. (@SteveSews2)
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- How to get more flavor when slow cookingSteve Sews Stuff How to get more flavor when slow cooking - Slow cooking aromas wafting through the air heighten anticipation, and cooks can exceed expectations by employing a few strategies to increase flavor. #SlowCooking #SlowCooker #Crockpot How to get more flavor when slow cooking appeared first on Steve Sews… Read more »
- Happy ThanksgivingFrom Courageous Christian Father and my family to yours. I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Give God thanks for what you have and what you don't have. #thanksgiving #HappyThanksgiving Happy Thanksgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Thanksgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks LivingDaily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living! When you take time to think, you will find you have a lot to be thankful for. God has blessed us with so much! #Thanksgiving #Thanksliving Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Daily Thanksgiving brings… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Blog PostThanksgiving Blog Post - Below are Thanksgiving Day Blog post that can be found on Courageous Christian Father. Celebrate this day of Thanks Living by checking out these Thanksgiving related blog post. #Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Blog Post appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Blog Post… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Day Quiz PrintableThanksgiving Day Quiz, test your Thanksgiving Day knowledge. Only 8 questions to answer too! There is also a free printable version too! Including an answer sheet. #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingQuiz #ThanksgivingDayQuiz Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable ©2004-2021… Read more »
- Good Grief DayGood Grief Day - “Good Grief!” is a phrase often used by Charlie Brown, the main character from Charles Schulz's comic strip, Peanuts. #GoodGriefDay Good Grief Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Good Grief Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian… Read more »
- A Thanksgiving PoemA Thanksgiving Poem is written by myself, Steve Patterson. This is done like an acronym acrostic type poem. Plus a free printable version to download and print! #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingPoem A Thanksgiving Poem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A Thanksgiving Poem ©2004-2021 by Steve… Read more »
- Steve Sews Stuff Blog
- Steve Sews Stuff
- My account
- Contact Steve Sews
- Steve Sews Stuff Shop